This time of year is magical isn’t it? Those crisp fresh mornings when everything is just a little bit sparkly and the promise of Christmas is right round the corner. The other great thing? Chocolate. In every way, shape or form but my favourite… A steaming mug of hot chocolate accompanied by a good pair of woolly socks and the company of a great book.
Now how about guilt-free hot cocoa? Sound too good to be true? Well it’s not. Our kefir hot chocolate is made with all the good bits and none of the bad so it’s a treat for your taste buds AND your gut health!
- Cacao powder is often referred to as the ‘raw’ chocolate, as it is processed in low temperatures and never heated above 45°C. This means that all the natural antioxidants, enzymes and nutrients remain intact. Cacao is considered the healthier option.
- Cocoa powder is very similar to cacao but has been processed at higher temperatures. Cocoa powder still has some great health benefits, but research has shown that once a cocoa has been heated above 70°C, the levels of antioxidant levels are greatly diminished.
1 tspn high quality cacao powder or cacao nibs
250ml Yorlife Natural Kefir
1 pinch Nutmeg powder
1 pinch Cinnamon or Ginger
1 teaspoon raw honey or Agave Syrup (optional)
- Add the cacao, spice and honey/agave to a large mug. Add a dash of hot water to blend to a paste.
- Warm the kefir on the stove- be careful not to boil the kefir as this could diminish the probiotic benefits, you just want to warm it gently
- Once warm add the Yorlife kefir to you mug and stir.
- Finish with an extra little sprinkle of nutmeg
- Find you favourite cosy corner, curl up with a blanket and enjoy a moment of chocolatey goodness
You can find some of our other gut-healthy recipes here.
Yorlife, your health x